Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day - The Truth

For many people Memorial Day is a nice Monday off of work and for some it's a day to recognize our servicemen and servicewomen. 

I think that both of those groups are wrong... because it's a day set aside to thank and reflect on those that gave the ultimate gift of their life for our freedom. 


A bit of history...

Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day, it was started just after the end of the Civil War to honor all those lives lost on our own soil. 

In 1882 the term Memorial Day started becoming more common, fully catching on after World War II and was officially changed in 1967.  It was traditionally celebrated on May 30th, but the wonderfulness that is our Congress changed that in 1968 when they passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act.  This act changed Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day to be perfectly placed on a Monday rather than a specific date, allowing them to have guaranteed 3 day weekends throughout the year.  Some of these have changed, specifically Veterans Day which is properly celebrated on November 11th each year.  

The VFW's official stance on this issue of moving Memorial Day...

"Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed a lot to the general publics nonchalant observance of Memorial Day."

I completely agree. 

As I read posts on facebook and hear of plans for this date I notice that very few people are properly honoring those that didn't experience a happy homecoming from their respective war.  As the sister of a veteran, I believe that we should thank them often, but they do have their own day...Veterans Day...and as I stated earlier it is celebrated on November 11th.

My family is so incredibly lucky to have had so many serve and return home to live long and healthy lives.  My maternal Grandmother had more brothers than I can count serve in World War II, my maternal Grandfather's brother went too, my paternal Great Uncle weathered the storm of Korea, a number of cousins survived Vietnam, and my brother made a trip to the sand not too long ago. 

However, my paternal Granpa and his family suffered the loss of my Great Uncle Vernon who was Killed In Action during his service with the United States Army in World War II, the same war my Granpa survived.  

So, I guess I'll jump off my soapbox for now.  I do thank all those that have served, but today my heart hurts for all those parents, wives, husbands, children, other family and friends that aren't able to spend this beautiful day with their loved ones.  I don't believe that we could even begin to thank them for all that they have lost, I can't even imagine the hole in their hearts. 

Thanks to all those that signed a similar check, sorry we've cashed so many at full value.



1 comment: