Monday, July 9, 2012

Red, White and now very Blue

I made a trip to the airport on Tuesday afternoon and picked up a nice lookin family!!

The first official visit from my Okies occurred over the past few days.  My parents were here in December of last year, but that was for our 2nd Reception.  Yep, we are that flippin cool, nbd.  Since things were kind of stressful during that visit I'm counting this one as the first. 

We made the drive back from nasty Newark to relax for a bit then head into NYC to visit the September 11th Memorial.  It isn't completed yet, but it's phenomenal. 

Walking toward One World Trade
Old headstones at St. Paul's

Alexander Hamilton's Grave at Trinity Church

The reflection of One World Trade in Four World Trade

One of the pools
After we completed our tour we took a stroll down to Battery Park.  It's a great place to just sit and look...to your left is Brooklyn, start scanning to the right and you'll see Governors Island and in the distance is Staten Island.  Keep going and you can see the ports of Bayonne and then the skyline of Jersey City.  As you enter the park you'll see this...


The Sphere


It's quite a site really, to think that is survived everything that happened. 

Here are a few shots of the Jersey City Skyline...Hey! I live there!  Cool!








July 4, 2012 - 2.0 miles - 22 minutes 52 seconds

Dad and I went for a run on Wednesday morning, by 10:30am it was already nearing 90 degrees!  I think we did quite well for our first official run of our training program!! WHOOP WHOOP!!

We spent the rest of the day relaxing and cooking out, until we headed over to Hoboken for our 7:30pm dinner reservations.  Most people probably don't eat German food on such an American holiday, but we do and it was YUMMERS! 



<Instert Picture Here>




We took a nice photo at dinner, but I can't seem to find it on my phone.  oops.  We're a good looking bunch, believe me. 

A short walk to the water and we were ready to watch us some New York City fireworks! 


We had prime seating, truth.


We were directly in line with the group of fireworks being shot off on the south end...when you looked left, you could see all the other groups too! 


After the longest and hottest walk in the history of mankind, obviously I need you to feel sorry for me, we made it back to the extremely crowded PATH train.  When we got back to the apartment we watched the TV version of the fireworks we had just witnessed.  WAY. BETTER. LIVE! We couldn't hear the music or anything, but there is nothing better than the rumble feeling of massive fireworks! 

July 5, 2012 - 3.0 miles - 32 minutes 59 seconds

Thursday morning we made our way to Liberty State Park to knock out a 3 mile run in the blazing sun.  Straight up brutal y'all.  Dad and I were joined by the husband as we started on the south end of the park and made our way to the Communipaw Terminal.


I think that Lady Liberty was rather impressed with our physical fitness!

We got cleaned up and were preparing to make our way into the awesome double decker tourist bus, but had to make a minor detour since my car was towed.  Fun times.  Word of advice to my fellow JCers...DO NOT park in the BJ's lot and run into the Double Tree Hotel.  They have security guards that are bored and protect their 300 open spots.  Not that I'm bitter. 

Anyway, Mama, Dad and I hit the uptown loop of the tourist bus and learned a lot from our new friend Stewart.  Odd fellow really, but he knew his stuff.


Let's get this party started! It's quite difficult to take a decent picture in a large moving bus with your hair blowing in your face, but a managed to grab a couple...like this one of The Dakota where Mr. John Lennon was shot. 


We passed by the beautiful and large Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine


Tried our luck at the Apollo, or just drove by...imagine what you will...


Stopped off at this place, they don't serve Ice Cream...well then why is your building shaped like this then?!


This concluded our fabulous bus tour!  We made our way back to Jersey and out to my in-laws for dinner.  Fun times had by all!

Bright and early we gathered up our beach gear and made our way DTS, apparently this is cool kid lingo for going 'Down the Shore'.  I learned me somethin new today!

I didn't break out the phone on the beach, but it was a blast!  I have a rockin sun burn and there is a high possibility that there are still bits of sand in my hair somewhere.  I've washed it 5 times since this trip btw, I'm not a dirty skank. 

After the beach and a stop off at the most under populated outlet mall in America...the Trio of bus riders made their way to Times Square to enjoy the Night Loop!!  I, of course, answered all of the trivia questions correctly and impressed our Met fan tour guide! And I've officially been to Brooklyn now, keepin it real.

A photo as we departed Times Square...


Why hello Mr. Flatiron!


A rather blurry shot of the Brooklyn Bridge...


A close up of the Brooklyn Bridge...


Lower Manhattan from Brooklyn


Empire State Building in all White


And back to the brightness!!


The adorable, slightly sunburned people that kept following me around.


Time flew by and the trip was ended with a teary goodbye at the airport.  I'll see ya in October and miss you every day in between!!


So, yes, we only ran twice and ate lots of food...the healthy eating plan started again today and I plan on busting out 2 miles this evening.  Let's do this! 


Total Running Miles - 14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment