Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Let me tell you a story...

It's about a girl that has struggled with her weight her entire life. Yeah, it's me. #shocked
 
If you want to see the definition of Yo-Yo just view my weight for the last 20-ish years. I'm sure many people completely understand this problem. If you don't, count your blessings while you eat your cheeseburger.
 
I vividly remember feeling fat in the 3rd grade, even as I played soccer I would dream of shorts in a smaller size and thighs that didn't rub together. I would gain weight, lose it, and gain it back. When I was 15 I got a job at a local restaurant and because I was too scared to ask what I could eat I simply didn't eat. That was the first time I remember feeling the inside of a size 6 pair of jeans. The overwhelming schedule of being in band, jazz band, playing soccer for a club team and the high school, on top of working a part time job kinda started to get to me. I opted to quit playing on the club soccer team and didn't see much field time on the high school team, my weight increased.
 
At the end of the school year, I realized I was not going to be able to go to college on my sweet soccer skills and short legs. Focusing on music was my best bet for a college scholarship and my part time job kept my car, the Gutless Cutless and later my low rider (yes, it's true), insured and fueled. We had weekly 'Pig Outs' before football games, it was cool to go out to eat for lunch, and I finally mustered up the courage to ask what food I could eat at work. So, my weight increased and I graduated high school rocking a size 12.
 
Many of you know that I attended The University of Tulsa. The location of the school was wonderful, small, and close to home. In addition, there were at least 6 great fast food joints within walking distance, but ain't no one got time to walk so we drove! Over the course of my 5 1/2 years at TU...I did get TWO Degrees! ... I would gain weight, drop it, gain it again. I walked across the graduation stage a semester early in May 2005 since I only had 3 credits to complete. I was a size 12/14.
 
Over the summer of 2005 I managed to lose around 50 pounds. I was only eating around 500 calories a day. I had migraines, stomach aches, and was tired all the time. I think some of my hair fell out too, but my legs felt the inside of a size 6 again! I was happy about how I looked, but my health suffered. I managed to keep most of it off through the next semester and moving into my condo. I settled at a comfortable size 8.
 
I think I have rambled quite enough and you can read about my wedding weight here. I know that I won't be on the Biggest Loser and that my struggle isn't nearly as bad as others. More than anything I want to be healthy and happy. I don't feel that I am either of those things right now. A very long story very short...as of January 13th my 5 foot 1 inch frame could barley fit into my size 12 clothes and I weighed in at a dismal 169 pounds. Some of that can be attributed to my recent health struggles, but I have to take the majority of the blame.
 
I say all of that to say this - 2013 will be my year to get healthy and stay that way. Call me Jennifer or Jessica if you want...this girl is on Weight Watchers!
 
Posting all of this isn't easy and I don't promise to do it forever, but for the time being I will post my weight and maybe a few recipes that I like and am using in this journey. Also, I am still planning on continuing my running dreams...plans for a half marathon this April and a full marathon in November! Both will be easier if I can shed some pounds.
 
Let me bring you up to speed on my weight loss...
January 13 - 169.0 - starting weight
January 20 - 162.6 - 6.4 pounds lost!
January 27 - 161.4 - 1.2 week - 7.6 total
February 3 - 159.8 - 1.6 week  - 9.2 total
 
 
My favorite thing for Breakfast right now is a recipe that I got from Pinterest. I altered it a bit to get the WW Points down, don't want to use all your points in the morning! It's yummy, easy to make, and lasts us 3 days!
 
 
Baked Oatmeal Casserole 
Original recipe from Urban Nester
 
Ingredients
 
2 C Rolled Oats (can use Gluten Free)
8 tsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt 
1 C Berries
(blueberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries)
2 C Fat Free Milk
1 Large Egg
3 Tbsp Margarine  
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1 Banana, ripe, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch slices (optional)
 
Preheat oven to 375°F and spray the inside of a rectangle baking dish. I have used a few different sizes...the longer and wider the thinner the end product will be...I like using a 9 x 12
 
In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and 1/2 C berries.
 
In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, margarine and vanilla.
 
Pour the oat mixture into the baking dish. You might need to rearrange the berries a little bit so they aren't all clustered together. Add the other half of the berries to the top to fill in the empty spots. If you're going to use the banana now is the time to add the slices to the top.
 
Pour the Milk mixture over everything and give the pan a gentle shake to settle the mixture.
 
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
 
I personally don't care for cooked banana *yuck*! So, here are the facts sans nanner.
 
6 Servings
Calories: 206  Fat: 8  Saturated Fat: 2  Carbs: 27  Fiber: 4  Sugar: 10  Protein: 7
WW Points Plus: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment