Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Life in Jersey - Shopping

My Life in Jersey Series continues! Yay! Today I tackle shopping, it's not like shopping in Oklahoma y'all.
My condo in Tulsa, which is still up for sale or rent (someone...anyone...Bueller!), is wonderfully located.  I was just a couple of miles from a Reasor's, Wal-Mart Market, Food Pyramid, and Whole Foods...which will always be Wild Oats to me.  I was also just minutes away from Utica Square ...


aahh...Utica Square is the perfect place to grab Starbucks and window shop.  I love that place.

Back to Grocery Shopping, most people around here call it Food Shopping and I'm still getting used to that, sounds a bit funny to me.  I usually go to one of two ShopRite stores to do my shopping.  The ShopRite in Jersey City is not far from our apartment, it's usually crazy busy and one of the deli employees looks just like Malcolm X, for reals.  There is a location just minutes from work in Lyndhurst, so I often run over there during lunch or directly after work if I just need to pick up a few things.  The strange thing about these stores is that they are not the same on the inside and it's confusing! 

My in-laws have two ShopRite locations near their home and they choose which one they go to based on what they need.  Now, I must preface this...I do not mean any of the following statements in a racists or non-PC or whatever you want to call it.  Their two choices are the 'Italian ShopRite' or the 'Jewish ShopRite'.  The first is located in a town that is heavily populated by those of Italian heritage.  The second is located in a town with a large Jewish population.  See...not racist at all, these stores just know their audience!

In general, the prices here are higher than they are in Oklahoma. So that's a bummer, but there isn't sales tax on most food items and since we live in an urban area the sales tax (when applicable) is only 3.5%.  This means that when I use my Target card I actually save more than the tax cost! WHOOP!

I've always thought that coupons were amazing, but never really took the time beyond that.  I knew that the we would be on a tight budget after the wedding dust settled so I started clipping before I left Okie.  I'm hooked.  The deals you can get are amazing and I refuse to pay retail price now.  Toward the end of the year I started frequently visiting a website ... The Krazy Coupon Lady ... with the guidance of this website I was able to save tons at Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and CVS.  They just recently started posting about ShopRite, but the lists weren't always complete...a great start, but there were more deals to be had! 

After a very successful shopping trip this past weekend I noted the great deals that I had snagged on their facebook page.  These deals weren't included in their posting...so, I was offered a trial run at being a contributor to The Krazy Coupon Lady!!!  SAY WHAT?!  I'm so excited I can't even contain myself!!  I'll be doing the match ups for ShopRite on March 4th and 11th...if I do well this could become a permanent gig!  Holler for a PT job I can do in my PJ's!

If you're looking for ways to reduce your monthly bills you should really visit The Krazy Coupon Lady.  You have to be willing to devote a little time and buy in bulk, but it's manageable and it pays off in the end!  I highly encourage everyone to give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment