Monday, February 6, 2012

On the Mend Monday - Super Bowl Edition

For those that don't know me well, or haven't spent much time with me recently, I must preface this post with this simple fact, I am a klutz.  If there is something trip over, fall in, or stumble upon I will find it without fail.  I wonder if I could get a job with this special talent, let me know if you have any suggestions.  

So - I have made the decision to chronicle my injuries in a new weekly instalment called On the Mend Monday.  I am honestly hoping that I jinx myself into not having any more injuries, purely selfish.  I'll do this in order of injury date to keep things easy. 


Early last week I decided that we needed something slightly sweet and since I had far to many recipes in my pinterest I tried to make apple pie wrap ups. 

photo from pinterest - mine didn't look half bad either.

Those things are darn good and being as you can easily see there is an apple wedge in there doesn't take long to convince yourself that they have a great nutritional value.  Let me be clear, they do not and I should have just eaten the dang apple.  Anyway, you'll quickly learn that when I cook I like to do things about two to three times faster than I should and I usually get burned.  This time it happened to be literally.  The side of my right hand was sporting a radical red mark, but I'm happy to report this injury as MENDED!



I will now tell you the story of Saturday night.  We are super cool kids and we spent our Saturday running errands and slow cooking chicken for our Super Bowl feast, we know how to get down.  In lieu of dancing our rears off at some night club we visited this guy...



Yes, Mr. Red Box keeps us entertained on many evenings and we both agreed on a movie, shocking!  Ides of March was quite interesting, I enjoy any movie with George and Ryan, but I'm getting ahead of myelf here. Kenny pulled up to the local ShopRite and I jumped out to get our movie of choice.  Of course I was stuck behind one of those people that just can't choose a movie and after looking through the list twice just walks way, what is wrong with you?!  Anyway, I made the selection, swiped the debit card, and collected the disc.  Sophie and her driver were patiently awaiting my return to the car, so with a little skip in my step I opened the door, stepped off the curb, and OUCH!!!! Yes, I rolled my ankle, bad.  The swelling started rather quickly and I don't think it had plans on stopping.  I kept it elevated for the majority of the evening and I'm happy to report that it's officially ON THE MEND! Healing is slated to be completed by Wednesday.


Sunday started off being such a wonderful day, it was Super Bowl Sunday and my lovely husband's beloved Giants were preparing to lock down a win!  So, as he left for a Sunday at the office (BOOO!!) I pulled back my hair and started cooking.  Enchiladas, Queso, and Salsa are staple game day foods in my book and were a must for this rather warm Super Bowl Sunday.  The salsa was cooling in the fridge, the queso was warming in the crockpot and the chicken enchiladas were ready for the oven. I had made the enchilada sauce, browned the beef, and shredded the cheese and the only task remaning on the list was to finely chop some onions.  I grabbed a yellow onion and my trustly ULU knife!




I cut the ends of the onion and peeled off the outer layer.   I think I was on my third slice when pain tore through my hand and I knew that my speedy ways in the kitchen had come to haunt me yet again.  I won't go into graphic details, it still makes me sick to my stomach, but lets just say that typing without using your left ring finger is much harder than you think it might be.  Also, buy stock in Band-Aid as soon as possible, I'm working on about a 1/2 a box a day right now.  I am going to have to give this the lowest score allowed in On the Mend Monday ... Still Injured 


**Side Note ** - Please don't hold this against the ULU, they are awesome and I highly recommend them.  Just be careful as the blade is quite sharp and will cut through your skin and fingernail. 


Onto some  happier thoughts and images - as a life long Kansas City fan I can only hope to one day see our boys celebrate a Super Bowl win.  While I wait for hell to freeze over, it's nice to see the Giants (my new #2 team) take the win over the mean Bill Belichick and the nasty Pats!!


CRUUUUZ!!!!


Gotta give props to the Scotsman - Lawrence Tynes



You can't spell ELITE without ELI!!! 

2 comments:

  1. That knife looks awesome! And super dangerous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love my ULU, despite the damage to my finger, but it's VERY sharp so use with caution! I still haven't put my big girl pants back on to use it just yet.

    ReplyDelete