Monday, January 16, 2012

Making a Pinterest Project My Own

I love Pinterest.  If you don't do it or don't know what it is...well...you're majorly missing out.  I will say that it is mostly the ladies sharing their crafty ideas an inspiration, but there are a few guys that have joined in as well.  I see a sports inspired pin from time to time!

I took a few ideas that I had re pinned over the course of the past few months and made a new wreath for our front door!  (Wreath Inspiration and Flower Inspiration) My parents sent us a beautiful Christmas wreath in early December, but it was loosing more and more needles every day so we decided that it had lived a nice long life.  We gave Winston the Wreath a nice burial and suddenly our door was way too bare! 

We made a quick stop off at the Michael's in Clifton, NJ on our way out to the in-laws to watch the Giants kick some Packer rear!!  GO GIANTS!  I was sad to learn that this is a Michael's that does not carry fabric!  WHAT?! I didn't know they existed, but with some help from my other half we figured out an alternate plan that actually turned out to be an awesome plan!

I picked up the following items ...


L to R
8 pieces of felt in 4 colors  ...  29 cents each x 8 = $2.32
Wooden Letter 'e'  ...  $1.99
Paint  ...  $1.39
Two Paint Brushes  ...  7 cents each x 2 = $0.14
Scissors (already owned - not sure why I put them in the photo...)
Glue Sticks  ...  $3.99 x 2 (aka - way more than I need!) = $7.98
Hot Glue Gun  ...  $2.49
Grapevine Wreath  ...  $4.99 - $2.00 (40% off coupon) = $2.99
Wreath Holder (not pictured - but it's cute!)  ...  $6.99 - $2.80 (40% off coupon) = $4.19

Total Project cost (with lots of left over materials!) = $23.49
I made the husband join me so we could get two items at 40% off.  He must love me!

Quickly painted the 'e' a goldish / yellow color

I just realized that I didn't take nearly enough pictures, hopefully you can follow the method with the two links I posted above. 

Next on the list was to make 'roses' out of the felt.  I cut the felt into strips that were about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide.  Then I rolled the felt tightly about 4 to 6 times around and secured that with a small amount of hot glue, that creates the 'center' of the rose.  Then you twist the felt around in random spots to create the 'petals'.  The felt that we purchased was rather short so the roses were small...I tried to piece a few together to make larger ones, my success rate was around 20%, but at least I had a few that worked.

Small roses - simply hot glued them to death.

After the letter 'e' had dried I hot glued the crap out of it placed it in the wreath and then added more roses around it until it looked okay to me...I could have easily added about 30 more roses, but that might have been overkill. 

End product!

The only flaw in our great and wonderful plan is that our door is brown...and the grapevine wreath is brown, but I still think it looks cute.  Just something that I will have to remember for future projects!



If you took the time to read this blog then you have a few minutes to say this little prayer for Killian ... you're a fighter and a warrior little guy! 

Lord Jesus Christ, Good Shepherd of the sheep, you gather the lambs in your arms and carry them in your bosom.  We commend to your loving care this child, Killian.  Relieve his pain, guard him from all danger, restore to him your gifts of gladness and strength, and raise him up to a life of service to you.  Hear us, we pray, for your dear name's sake.  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment