Sunday, January 29, 2012

My life in Jersey - Commuting

I'm sure that most of you probably figured out that my life has changed a bit over the past few months, you're all smart cookies.  I figured that I'd write a few posts about the various changes, expected or not. 

Commuting

When I lived in Tulsa my commute was usually around 12 to 15 minutes for about the same number of miles, a total of 11.  There was one time that it took about 45 minutes, but the overturned Guinness truck might have had something to to do with that. 
My daily Tulsa commute
I liked my commute, mostly highways and a rather constant 65 mile an hour pace.  My Grand Prix, Gordon Timothy Perry, liked the commute as well.  Refer to my earlier posting about our recent wreck for his current feelings.  We just fixed his headlights and grill this weekend, dude looks brand new!  

When it comes to commuting in Jersey I have to say that I am one of the lucky ones.  My commute is against the flow of traffic, since I'm not trying to squeeze myself onto the island that is Manhattan, and I've been able to find a route that has a good flow.  I'll give you a map and some of the highlights...
Jersey Commute
I do go a slightly different way back to avoid the traffic heading toward the Lincoln Tunnel, especially on Friday, but otherwise it's similar.  I journey out of our little neighborhood, which I LOVE, past the Hudson County Courthouse, hook a right and drive past an area called Five Corners.  Bet you can't tell me why it's called that!

Five Corner - Red Ribbon is a cake shop...need to visit that...

I continue on Summit Avenue past the Jersey City Fire Department station where my father-in-law works, Reservoir Number 3, and Pershing Park.

Pershing Field Park

With stoplights at least every other block I usually have to stop at least three times before I reach the southern tip of Union City.  From there I make a slight left to get on Paterson Plank Road, on my right is the Teamsters Building.  The drive is fairly boring for quite some time as I make my way through part of Secaucus to get onto Route 3.  I pass this piece of wonderfulness...


Seriously, how has this not given someone a seizure?  It blocks my morning commute view of Giants Stadium!  Once I reach this point I'm almost at work, just an exit toward Route 17 and about a quarter of a mile on the service road and I'm there!  I park on the second level of the 4 level parking garage, take the stairs down to the ground level, walk into the building, and after a 7 floor elevator ride I'm ready to work!

When quittin' time rolls around I take the same method of exit, only backwards, get into my car and take Route 17 to Route 3 toward NYC.  After just a few moments I see this...

The Meadowlands!  (AKA - Giants Stadium!)

 
This is what it looks like if you're NOT taking a picture while driving...

MetLife Stadium

And in the distance I can see this...

See it in the distance? - just to the left of the road, it is much easier to see in person.

Again, if you're not in your car and a MUCH closer it's more recognizable...

YAY! Empire State Building!

I believe it was Red, Red, and Green that day in celebration of Christmas!  And next week it will be all blue for Big Blue!!  If you ever want to know what color it will be you can go to this website...it's kind of neat to know why they have picked the colors for that day.

Anyway, that is basically my commute.  If yours is shorter than mine you should be thankful, I'm thankful for the fact that mine is by far shorter than most other commutes.  I am quite lucky in that regard.



No comments:

Post a Comment