Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Special Birthday Letter

Dear Grandma-

Happy Birthday and Happy Mother’s Day, I know that you loved that the two dates were often close enough to celebrate together. Today, you would have been 96 and I’m sure you wouldn’t have wanted a party, probably just breakfast with Dad, dinner with Mom, Nate, and Me, and an Ice Cream Sundae.

This may seem strange to most, but you would have liked your funeral. Lots of people that knew you, the music you wanted, and an honest depiction of your life, it was quite a life wasn’t it? You made a lot of a little and left a small, but strongly blessed family behind. Your son is the best father two kids could have ever wanted. He’s doing very well in this world; you must have raised him right and should be proud. I can just imagine the smile on your face.

I know that your questions about what happens after death have been answered, I’m sure it’s much more glorious than you could have dreamed and all of your countless worries here on earth are no more. You’re probably happier than could have ever been here.   

I miss your stories about growing up on a farm in Kansas with your parents and brothers. I miss your fried chicken and the gallon of Chocolate Chip Ice Cream that was always in your freezer. I miss long weekends at the lake, swimming off the dock, and pretending to wear our life jackets, well into our teens, so you wouldn’t worry. I miss your love. I didn’t always understand it, but I miss it and I probably always will.

Love you

Lottie Marjorie Cass Marrs
May 18, 1917 - August 13, 2009


 

No comments:

Post a Comment