Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Oklahoma

I was born in Oklahoma, I was raised in Oklahoma.

For 30 years - 12 weeks - 1 day I lived in Oklahoma.

And now, I live in New Jersey.


When people hear that I'm from Oklahoma they often ask questions...

How flat is it there? Not as flat as you'd think.
Where is that exactly? North of Texas, on the right side of the Red River.
Do you know all the words to the song Oklahoma!? Yes, every last one.

But the question that I receive the most is, have you ever seen a tornado?

The short answer is no, not head on like you think. I've never stood in a field, lik
e Helen Hunt, to see one making it's way toward me with no where to run and hide. I do know how to spot a wall cloud, what a 'hook echo' looks like on the radar, that hail clouds are green, and if a tornado is actually coming your way you better take cover and pray like you've never prayed before. We regularly had tornado drills in school. I have sat in a bathtub with my family while waiting for a storm to pass. I know what a tornado siren sounds like and, unless it's a clear Wednesday at noon, I know the feeling in your stomach when you hear one.

You see, when you hear that siren go off you could find yourself in your 'safe spot' for hours with no event, that's the good kind. The alternative is the fate that you have just minutes until you're entire life changes. Everything you have could be lost and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. I know this feeling well and I'm one of the lucky ones that has never had any tornado damage. But I have seen the damage that a tornado will cause.

When Hurricane Sandy was heading our way last fall I had the 'Tornado Siren' feeling for 4 days, straight. I'm sure my blood pressure was through the roof and I think my calorie intake tripled out of stress. I wanted to run, because I could and I knew this horrific thing was heading my way. You can't run out of fear every time, we were on high ground and the only true fear that we had was losing power, damage to our cars, and damage to our apartment. We only lost power and we were lucky.

I cannot begin to list the number of inquires that I have received from people I know in here in New Jersey in the past 30ish hours. I appreciate all those that checked in to make sure my family and my friends were not harmed during this horrible tornado. We are blessed.

The news that all of my loved ones are still here with us should not ease your worry or remove the sorrow that you feel for my home state. Too many were hurt and too many were lost. I have to applaud the people of New Jersey and New York, staying strong through Hurricane Sandy and still rebuilding from this destructive storm, it’s not over and it won’t be for a long time. Rebuilding takes time and heart, no matter the location.

I have driven the streets of Moore, eaten in their restaurants, and slept in the apartment that my friend Abby used to rent. I don’t know if it’s still standing. The number of times I have driven Interstate 35 through this area can’t be counted. These are my fellow Okies and they have lived through this before, they shouldn’t have to rebuild again.

Remember that Moore, like the Jersey Shore will not heal in the coming weeks, months, or even years. This wound will one day be a thick rough scar in the landscape of the heart of Oklahoma and it will be formed over the scar of May 3, 1999,
and just miles from the scar of April 19, 1995’s bombing. The gash that the May 20th tornado left is deep and just a day after the people of Shawnee, Prague, and Carney suffered the same unthinkable.

My Oklahoma is wounded and suffering, again. I have absolutely no doubt that they will rise to show that the Oklahoma Standard is alive and well. My heart is filled with pride when I hear reports that they are turning volunteers away because they have too many, and that clothing is no longer needed. Of course there are many things that can still be donated and I encourage you to do what you can to support these fellow Americans. 

I am proud to be an Okie. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment