Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Book I Love and Recommend / Blog Every Day in June #22

In the early 2000's I found a set of CS Lewis books on sale at the local Borders store in Tulsa. They always had the greatest things on their clearance racks, maybe that's why they are no longer? I do thank them for filling my shelves with some great reads.

I'm not a huge reader. I have to really, really read to understand. Math problems are my forte, reading something and understanding what the writer is saying is not. I really enjoying writing myself and reading short stories, novels are a bit more difficult. 

The set of CS Lewis books didn't seem to daunting, they were all quite small in size and I seemed to just fall into all of them. Thinking about it now really makes me want to go reread one of these great books.

Now, my favorite? I used to say it was The Great Divorce, then it was Screwtape Letters, but at this point in my life it has to be The Four Loves. 


A few of my favorite parts of the book ...

“All that is not eternal is eternally out of date.” 


“It is easy to acknowledge, but almost impossible to realize for long, that we are mirrors whose brightness, if we are bright, is wholly derived from the sun that shines upon us.”

 
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket - safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.”  


No comments:

Post a Comment