Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Home / Blog Every Day in June #5

Home

When we were kids we would make frequent trips to visit my Grandparents. My paternal Grandparents had moved to the Grand Lake area before I was born, leaving my Father’s hometown of Neodesha, Kansas, and we called these trips to the lake. I loved that land, the house, the docks, the cabin, and the water. I still miss it.

My maternal Grandparents have lived in the same house since the 1950’s. My Mama was raised in that house and when we would jump in the car to make the 2 hour drive I would hear her say that she was ‘Going Home’.

Commenting on Home can be difficult for me, when I go home from work each day I pull into a slightly illegal driveway and climb stairs to a 3rd floor apart
ment. I have a family in New Jersey, I have my husband’s family too, but it’s still not 100% home. My Mama has lived in Oklahoma for more than 30 years and I don’t think it’s 100% home for her either.

I have had the privilege of traveling to the Blue Ridge Mountains, near the border of Maryland and Pennsylvania, with my Grandma many times. I’ve held her hand has she walked the road that leads to the house where she was born and I’ve heard her say that the old house is her home. My Grandma Lou has lived in Kansas for well over 60 years and the house that she hasn’t stepped foot in since the 1930’s still feels like home to her.

The old saying goes, Home is where the heart is, and I believe this to be true. Don’t we all leave little pieces of our heart everywhere we go? Part of Home for me is on the residential street in East Tulsa, my parents house in Verdigris, the Condo on Boston, and our apartment in Jersey City

I guess all of these places are home, in one way or another. 

new favorite tshirt





Always on Tulsa Time




Grandma Lou's Church in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Jersey City and Midtown Manhattan

Jersey City

A Door from my Grandma Marge's home in Kansas

Downtown Tulsa

Verdigris.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment